Saturday, February 5, 2011

Orange and White

I guess a lot of contemporary photography is actually about color. The control that the photographer has over the look and texture of photos is absolutely amazing when compared to what could be done and how easily just a couple of decades ago. I know, students, that I throw out a "couple of decades ago" with relative aplomb, but I've seen it. Color photos in media such as National Geographic and Sports Illustrated have been a standard of excellence for years, but to achieve those results the energy and effort was incredible. I warn you not to take this amazing control of color lightly, but to use it to advantage in the "look" of your work.

 The "Orange" is actually a clementine, and the "White" is simply a background for a photo which I would call "58", that I noticed for it's geometric composition, lines and angles. I went to the town landing wanting to photograph the frozen bay, but, as usual, ended up seeing a lot of other things to shoot. The clementine I shot when I got back home and noticed the color intensity when I laid it down on the orange counter.

No comments:

Post a Comment